Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Another Severe A.I. Limitation

Somebody at a site I participate at asked whether computers could perhaps one day lie.  Well, lying takes quite a bit of skill, yet AI can't even make out something when it's upside down!  

I searched for this image right side up, and Google dutifully took me to the original page where I had found it (I had saved it under a different name, to try to fool the SE, but it wasn't fooled one bit).  Then I thought, hmmmnn, let's simply flip this upside down and see whether Google can make it out.
















Now, anybody can tell this is a dress, of course, but Google couldn't figure it out to save its...er..."life."  Google thought it was this.

Close, but no cigar.

(Footnote:  several years ago, a drawing book came out suggesting you draw things from an upside-down perspective.  I'm wondering if computers'll ever be able to manage THAT!)