Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thereby Hangs A Tail

Today I stopped by a dog shelter in hopes of taking a dog for a walk.  When I stepped in the door, nobody was at the reception desk.  Straight ahead, behind the double half-doors, 3 dogs stood looking at me with big questioning eyes:  "Will you take us home?"  Then, I heard scuffling from underneath the reception counter:  looked over the top and saw several dogs there, and immediately, the big brown one started giving me the word.  

"Oh, so you're the boss?"  This unleashed canine mayhem in the form of loud protests to the contrary.  But 2 over by "the boss" kept still.  The earsplitting barking went on for about 3 min. straight.

"Aha, I get it:  you guys're their 4-legged doorbell." (It's a big facility.)

 Finally, from the back somewhere, a female voice growled "QUIET!!!!"  All the barkers ceased, but immediately the 2 quiet ones started barking.  Go figure.